Week 1
Sunday: Bought new shoes! I tried on several pairs and decided to go with the KomodoSport LS. I bought them at Roth's in Casper. They have more of a sole and would work well for my trail running and hiking. My experience trying them on was a frustrating one. I actually had to leave the store for a few hours and come back. I gave them another go, and I could finally get them on. I wore them home. Driving my car in these shoes was an odd experience, as I was accelerating my vehicle with my toes.
Monday-Thursday: Based on all the reviews, people should take it easy with these shoes. I decided I would wear them all day, but still train in my regular running shoes. I wore them 5-8 hours/day with no soreness.
Friday: First workout in the new shoes! I completed a circuit workout. I ran for three minutes, lifted for 1-2 minutes, ran for 3 minutes, etc. I did this for 60 minutes. The shoes forced me to run more on the toes and balls of my feet. If I put my heel down, I sounded like an elephant on the treadmill. Ethan said I looked like an antelope. They're fast, so I'll take it as a compliment. He meant it as one :) I hit the pool afterward, and I felt great all day.
Saturday: CALVES WERE TIGHT! Oh my gosh, I had a hard time walking. I did lots of stretching throughout the morning. Some soreness around my ankles and with my tendons. This is to be expected (or so I've read). My body has to readjust to this new way of walking/running. As I was hobbling around, I found myself excited to know I was building the proper muscles and working on other components that are natural for my body, but have been ignored because I was wearing such cushioned shoes before. The amazing thing...even though I was sore, my knees and hips felt great. These were elements that hindered me from running more than six miles at a given time.
- Late morning: I knew I didn't want to stay idle, so Ethan and I went for an eight mile hike up North Mountain in Phoenix, AZ. It was beautiful, and it felt good to keep my legs moving. I wore the Five Fingers.
- Evening: Calves were still tight, but I could function. Lots of stretching!
I am excited for week 2!
No comments:
Post a Comment