I was told that my story is one I should share, so here I go! This mom of four was tired of being fat. 11 years was enough. In 2009, I decided to hit the workout scene. Not much change in weight or mindset, but I was doing it. I was exercising. In January of 2009, my sister, Mary, asked me if I'd run a half marathon in Jackson with her. It was a great spot for us to meet up and have some fun. I hesitantly said "yes." I was still 38 pounds overweight and hadn't run more than 2 miles on the treadmill. The race was in June. I had some time. I trained long and hard for six months. With the help of my husband, I could leave the kids and get 4 to 5 runs in a week. Even though I only lost 7 pounds the whole time, I knew I could finish the race. Finally, it was June! I ran my 12 mile training run 10 days before my race. I finished it! My feet were tired and my body hurt, but I did it. Within 20 minutes of returning home, my foot was in serious pain. I could not walk on it. I was scared, because I knew something was wrong, very wrong. We had to sign papers for our house, and I could hardly walk into the bank. Ethan looked at me and said, "You need to go see the doctor." I just cried. Signing papers in tears, I didn't care. My world was crashing down. How could this happen?! I went to an appointment and then got a scan done on my foot. It was clear that I had torn a tendon, and my running days were over until or if it healed. No healing = surgery. I decided to take care of it, and put my attention to new exercises. No more 1/2 marathons, but I did complete 12 miles. That is one of many firsts for me :) This mom of four was going to have to train some more!
I was told I could bike and swim as long as I kept my foot stabilized. I decided to start training for the swim and bike portions of the triathlon and hope that my foot would heal in time for some summer racing. I took adult swim lessons and started spinning at the gym. I fell in love with both activities and found a new drive and spirit for exercising. I watched my diet closer and started finding myself along the way. With the help of a good man, supportive friends, and love for myself, I have lost 38 pounds, and am in the best shape I have ever been in.
My training was finally going to be put to use! Here I am with my new road bike that I just got a few weeks ago, and I'm 38 pounds lighter! Looking forward to my first triathlon. Signed up for one on July 16th. Here we go! I finished a 5k over the 4th. I'll blog and post pics about that soon :) My five year old just reported that the four year old was using a knife. Gotta run! It's all about balance. SELF, husband, kids, work. Happy training, friends!

No comments:
Post a Comment