I rolled over to look at the clock this morning to see it reading 5:00 a.m. For the next hour, I tossed around and struggled with how I handled blogging about my race yesterday. I was so wrapped up in how I performed that I lost focus of what and who the race was for and why I did it in the first place.
The 10k, known as "Support Your Girls," is put on to support the Make a Wish Foundation. Yesterday, I stood in the shade, mixed in with people of all ages, listening to how we were racing for a local girl, whose only wish was to go see the Boston Celtics. We were running to help send her there. During the final mile of the 10K, when I was starting to feel tired, the pain in my side had increased, and I was ready to be done, because I had pushed my body farther than I ever had before, I remembered this child. I have nothing to complain about, and I felt selfish for thinking I did.
Within my hour of tossing, turning, and light tears, I was wondering if I was being selfish for blogging about how well I did, or if I was becoming self-absorbed. I had started this blog to let others know that we are all capable of great things. Had I lost sight of this? How were others viewing my blog? Was my purpose being met? Then, a question came to me that made me stop all other thoughts, "Why race?" as if someone was whispering in my ear to get me back on track and take a look at myself and my purpose.
Yesterday, I raced "just because" and "it's for a good cause." It's more than that. I raced for someone. With every stride, every hit of the pavement, I was contributing to someone's wish--a child's dream. My original goal on this journey was to become fit emotionally and physically. Now, I want to race to maintain where I am at. Finding races that support other people and give back to the community is a great balance. I reached a point this morning where I realized it's okay to be proud of myself, and in this powerful personal experience, I also gave to a child who will have her own powerful personal experience. I have the shirt with Rosie the Riveter tattooed with the Boston Celtics emblem to remind me that "We Can Do It." We can race for ourselves, we can race for each other, we can race to support others, and we can do it all in the same experience.
So, if you're ever asking yourself, "Why race?" maybe try racing for a cause. You'll never regret it.
Sarah (aka Mom of Four)
So I read your previous post after I read this post. I don't believe that you lost site of why you did this race. Having done a few races, it sounds like you were still on your runners high after running, and achieving a personal best. There is nothing wrong with being proud of how you performed in the race, and blogging about it. Even if you didn't blog about why you did the race in the previous post, I didn't read it as you being selfish or self absorbed! You are human, and there is nothing wrong with being proud of yourself. If you weren't, then I'd wonder why you were signing up for all of these races!
ReplyDeleteGood work my friend! Not only did you have your best race and achieve a personal best time, but you did it for a little girl who has a wish, and you are helping her wish become a reality. So congratulations my friend, I think you did a great thing! :)